Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: not strictly s8

  1. #1
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    I know this isnt a super8 question, but can anyone here help?

    Im trying to find out what the single shutter speed for my 16mm Bolex 16 is. Im pretty sure that when you do single frame the shutter speed is always the same, regardless what the speed (64 fps, 24 fps....8fps) the camera is set to run.

    Id also like to find out what shutter angle it has.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    Thanks

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Nigel
    Guest Nigel's Avatar

    Post

    I know next to nothing about Bolex cameras. However, if I were to venture a guess I would say that the Shutter Angle is 180. You can also contact a repair/rental house. Widescreen Centre perhaps??? Good Luck

    ------------------

  3. #3
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    I agree with Nigel. I've used Bolexes for animation many times and have always operated under the assumption that the angle was 180 and set my exposures with a shutter speed reference of "around" a 60th. The results were always good. Of course, I have always shot negative with a Bolex so any slight deviation from "true" exposure would be hard to see.

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  4. #4
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    thanks for your help.

    I would experiment with trying different values. I probably will have to in the end anyway.
    Its just the expense of experimenting makes me nervous.(I wouldnt hesitate to experiment if it was a super8 camera!)

    Ill do a few calculations and see if 1/60th is reasonable.

    Thanks very much! (quick or what)

    ------------------

  5. #5
    mcarter4121
    Guest mcarter4121's Avatar

    Post

    http://www.city-net.com/~fodder/16mm/index.html

    The above site has lots of info on Bolex. Different models, Rx or not, serial numbers etc had different shutter angles and compensations for the prisim glass. You need to first identify your camera exactly and the serial number then find the info.. Good Luck.

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •